Aim: A survey on indigenous malolactic bacteria populations isolated from wines produced in 13 different wineries of Aosta Valley, the highest vine-growing area in Europe, was carried out in order to characterize the dominant strains in spontaneous malolactic fermentation (MLF) and to reveal the appearance of psychrotrophic ones. Methods and Results: Fifty-four isolates were identify by ITS rDNA region analysis and partial sequencing of 16S rDNA gene: 80% were ascribed to Oenococcus oeni while the remaining 20% were attributed to Pediococcus damnosus species. The genetic diversity of 43 O. oeni isolates was investigated through PFGE analysis after ApaI and SfiI restriction: 28 different pulso-types were discriminated at a level of similarity of 90%. In general, the MLF was led by more than one strain simultaneously. No connection between genotype and grape variety or vine-training system or geographical site of isolation was observed. The histidine decarboxylase gene was not found in any isolate. Pediococci proved to be more resistant than oenococci to lysozyme. Three O. oeni strains (2A1, 6A2 and 11A4) were able to develop at 10°C in Petit Rouge wine. Conclusions: Psychrotrophy is a phenotypic trait present in O. oeni species and it may be possible to select strains for the management of MLF in cold climate territories where this biologic transformation is very difficult to control. Significance and Impact of the Study: The natural emergence of strains able to perform the MLF at 10°C in wine is a new finding, interesting because it confirms the ecological ability of O. oeni species to adapt itself to environmental conditions by strain phenotype variations. It can be also a starting point for more sustainable oenological practices, since it would be alternative to the conditioning systems of the tanks or of the wineries where they are costly in terms of investment and energy consumption.

Characterization of malolactic bacteria isolated from Aosta Valley wines and evidence of psychrotrophy in some strains / I. Vigentini, A. Praz, D. Domeneghetti, S. Zenato, C. Picozzi, A. Barmaz, R. Foschino. - In: JOURNAL OF APPLIED MICROBIOLOGY. - ISSN 1364-5072. - 120:4(2016), pp. 934-945. [10.1111/jam.13080]

Characterization of malolactic bacteria isolated from Aosta Valley wines and evidence of psychrotrophy in some strains

I. Vigentini
Primo
;
C. Picozzi;R. Foschino
2016

Abstract

Aim: A survey on indigenous malolactic bacteria populations isolated from wines produced in 13 different wineries of Aosta Valley, the highest vine-growing area in Europe, was carried out in order to characterize the dominant strains in spontaneous malolactic fermentation (MLF) and to reveal the appearance of psychrotrophic ones. Methods and Results: Fifty-four isolates were identify by ITS rDNA region analysis and partial sequencing of 16S rDNA gene: 80% were ascribed to Oenococcus oeni while the remaining 20% were attributed to Pediococcus damnosus species. The genetic diversity of 43 O. oeni isolates was investigated through PFGE analysis after ApaI and SfiI restriction: 28 different pulso-types were discriminated at a level of similarity of 90%. In general, the MLF was led by more than one strain simultaneously. No connection between genotype and grape variety or vine-training system or geographical site of isolation was observed. The histidine decarboxylase gene was not found in any isolate. Pediococci proved to be more resistant than oenococci to lysozyme. Three O. oeni strains (2A1, 6A2 and 11A4) were able to develop at 10°C in Petit Rouge wine. Conclusions: Psychrotrophy is a phenotypic trait present in O. oeni species and it may be possible to select strains for the management of MLF in cold climate territories where this biologic transformation is very difficult to control. Significance and Impact of the Study: The natural emergence of strains able to perform the MLF at 10°C in wine is a new finding, interesting because it confirms the ecological ability of O. oeni species to adapt itself to environmental conditions by strain phenotype variations. It can be also a starting point for more sustainable oenological practices, since it would be alternative to the conditioning systems of the tanks or of the wineries where they are costly in terms of investment and energy consumption.
Aosta Valley; Malolactic fermentation; Oenococcus oeni; Pediococcus; Psychrotrophy; Wine; Biotechnology; Medicine (all); Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology
Settore AGR/16 - Microbiologia Agraria
Article (author)
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
Vigentini_et_al 2016 J Applied Microbiol.pdf

accesso riservato

Tipologia: Publisher's version/PDF
Dimensione 802.97 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
802.97 kB Adobe PDF   Visualizza/Apri   Richiedi una copia
Pubblicazioni consigliate

Caricamento pubblicazioni consigliate

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: http://hdl.handle.net/2434/447609
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 2
  • Scopus 11
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 8
social impact