Background Limited evidence exists regarding the association between COVID-19 and Long COVID manifestations in children, particularly concerning variants of concern (VOCs). We aimed to characterize a cohort of pediatric patients hospitalized with confirmed acute SARS-CoV-2 and monitor them for Long COVID symptoms. Additionally, it seeks to explore any potential correlations between VOCs and clinical symptoms. Methods We conducted a prospective study involving children hospitalized from November 2021 to March 2023, with confirmed acute SARS-CoV-2 infection. A telephone survey was conducted at 3-6-12 months after discharge. Results We included 167 patients (77 F/90 M). Upon hospital admission, 95.5% of patients presented as symptomatic. Regarding patients for whom it was feasible to determine the SARS-CoV-2 variant (n = 51), the Delta variant was identified in 11 children (21.6%) and Omicron variant in the remaining 40 patients (78.4%: 27.5% BA.1 variant; 15% BA.2 variant; 57.5% BA.5 variant). 19 patients (16.5%) reported experiencing at least one symptom indicative of Long COVID (weight loss 31.6%, inappetence 26.3%, chronic cough 21.1%, fatigue 21.1%, and sleep disturbances, wheezing, abdominal pain and mood disorders 15.8%). In only 4 patients with Long COVID we could identified a specific SARS- CoV-2 variant (3 Omicron: 2 BA.1 and 1 BA.2; 1 Delta). Conclusions this study underscores that long COVID is a significant concern in the pediatric population. Our data reinforce the importance of continuously monitoring the impact of long-COVID in infants, children, and adolescents. A follow-up following SARS-CoV-2 infection is therefore advisable, with symptom investigation tailored to the patient’s age.

Long-Term Effects of SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Hospitalized Children: Findings from an Italian Single-Center Study / V. Calcaterra, V.M. Tagi, E. D'Auria, A. Lai, S. Zanelli, C. Montanari, E. Maria Biganzoli, G. Marano, E. Borghi, V. Massa, A. Riva, G. Zuccotti. - In: THE ITALIAN JOURNAL OF PEDIATRICS. - ISSN 1824-7288. - 50:(2024), pp. 27.1-27.9. [10.1186/s13052-024-01596-y]

Long-Term Effects of SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Hospitalized Children: Findings from an Italian Single-Center Study

V.M. Tagi;E. D'Auria;A. Lai;C. Montanari;G. Marano;E. Borghi;V. Massa;A. Riva
Penultimo
;
G. Zuccotti
Ultimo
2024

Abstract

Background Limited evidence exists regarding the association between COVID-19 and Long COVID manifestations in children, particularly concerning variants of concern (VOCs). We aimed to characterize a cohort of pediatric patients hospitalized with confirmed acute SARS-CoV-2 and monitor them for Long COVID symptoms. Additionally, it seeks to explore any potential correlations between VOCs and clinical symptoms. Methods We conducted a prospective study involving children hospitalized from November 2021 to March 2023, with confirmed acute SARS-CoV-2 infection. A telephone survey was conducted at 3-6-12 months after discharge. Results We included 167 patients (77 F/90 M). Upon hospital admission, 95.5% of patients presented as symptomatic. Regarding patients for whom it was feasible to determine the SARS-CoV-2 variant (n = 51), the Delta variant was identified in 11 children (21.6%) and Omicron variant in the remaining 40 patients (78.4%: 27.5% BA.1 variant; 15% BA.2 variant; 57.5% BA.5 variant). 19 patients (16.5%) reported experiencing at least one symptom indicative of Long COVID (weight loss 31.6%, inappetence 26.3%, chronic cough 21.1%, fatigue 21.1%, and sleep disturbances, wheezing, abdominal pain and mood disorders 15.8%). In only 4 patients with Long COVID we could identified a specific SARS- CoV-2 variant (3 Omicron: 2 BA.1 and 1 BA.2; 1 Delta). Conclusions this study underscores that long COVID is a significant concern in the pediatric population. Our data reinforce the importance of continuously monitoring the impact of long-COVID in infants, children, and adolescents. A follow-up following SARS-CoV-2 infection is therefore advisable, with symptom investigation tailored to the patient’s age.
SARS-CoV-2; Infection; COVID; Long COVID; Long-term effects; Hospitalized; Children
Settore MED/42 - Igiene Generale e Applicata
Settore MED/07 - Microbiologia e Microbiologia Clinica
Settore MED/38 - Pediatria Generale e Specialistica
Settore MED/17 - Malattie Infettive
   EU-Africa Concerted Action on SAR-CoV-2 Virus Variant and Immunological Surveillance (CoVICIS)
   CoVICIS
   EUROPEAN COMMISSION
   101046041

   Approccio integrato alla sindrome post-COVID (IAPCS): dall'ospedale al domicilio
   IAPCS
   FONDAZIONE CARIPLO
   2021-4490
2024
Article (author)
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
Long Covid - Ped Inf Dis J - 10.09.23_FINAL.pdf

accesso aperto

Descrizione: pre-print
Tipologia: Pre-print (manoscritto inviato all'editore)
Dimensione 515.21 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
515.21 kB Adobe PDF Visualizza/Apri
s13052-024-01596-y.pdf

accesso aperto

Descrizione: Research
Tipologia: Publisher's version/PDF
Dimensione 1.25 MB
Formato Adobe PDF
1.25 MB Adobe PDF Visualizza/Apri
Pubblicazioni consigliate

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/2434/1025745
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus 1
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 1
social impact