Multimodal treatment of resectable gastric cancer has been standardized including R0–D2 gastrectomy and adjuvant treatment. For advanced gastric cancer, several molecular agents have been evaluated in well–conducted randomized studies. The most important is represented by trastuzumab, a monoclonal antibody, which has shown significant antitumor activity against human epidermal growth factor receptor (Her)–2–positive advanced gastric cancer. Recently it has been established that the HER2 positive subgroup disease benefits from targeted therapy with trastuzumab. However, a substantial fraction of these patients who account for 25 % of all patients develop recurrence while for the remaining 75 % no targeted therapy exists. Therefore, there is now the crucial need for the development of more effective drugs and for the identification of predictive and prognostic biomarkers to select in an appropriate way those patients who will benefit from specific therapies. Nowadays, an alternative is offered by the single agent trastuzumab–emtansine (T–DM1). T–DMI provides increased therapeutic efficacy in HER2 positive breast cancer setting and we hope that similar results are achieved in HER2 positive gastric cancer. Clinical next generation sequencing (NGS) analyses provides the opportunity for understanding therapeutic resistance mechanism and developing next generation biomarkers and drugs.

Targeted therapy and novel agents for the treatment of gastric cancer: A view toward the future / G.D. Lianos, A. Mangano, S. Rausei, A. Lianou, Z. Anastasiadi, G. Dionigi, D.H. Roukos - In: Gastric Cancer : Principles and Practice / [a cura di] V.E. Strong. - Prima edizione. - [s.l] : Springer International Publishing, 2015. - ISBN 978-3-319-15825-9. - pp. 317-330 [10.1007/978-3-319-15826-6_24]

Targeted therapy and novel agents for the treatment of gastric cancer: A view toward the future

G. Dionigi;
2015

Abstract

Multimodal treatment of resectable gastric cancer has been standardized including R0–D2 gastrectomy and adjuvant treatment. For advanced gastric cancer, several molecular agents have been evaluated in well–conducted randomized studies. The most important is represented by trastuzumab, a monoclonal antibody, which has shown significant antitumor activity against human epidermal growth factor receptor (Her)–2–positive advanced gastric cancer. Recently it has been established that the HER2 positive subgroup disease benefits from targeted therapy with trastuzumab. However, a substantial fraction of these patients who account for 25 % of all patients develop recurrence while for the remaining 75 % no targeted therapy exists. Therefore, there is now the crucial need for the development of more effective drugs and for the identification of predictive and prognostic biomarkers to select in an appropriate way those patients who will benefit from specific therapies. Nowadays, an alternative is offered by the single agent trastuzumab–emtansine (T–DM1). T–DMI provides increased therapeutic efficacy in HER2 positive breast cancer setting and we hope that similar results are achieved in HER2 positive gastric cancer. Clinical next generation sequencing (NGS) analyses provides the opportunity for understanding therapeutic resistance mechanism and developing next generation biomarkers and drugs.
Drug therapy; Gastric cancer; Lapatinib; Next generation sequencing analyses; Novel gastric cancer targeted agents; Targeted therapies; Trastuzumab; Trastuzumab-Emtansine
Settore MED/18 - Chirurgia Generale
Book Part (author)
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
2015_Book_GastricCancer.pdf

accesso riservato

Tipologia: Publisher's version/PDF
Dimensione 10.06 MB
Formato Adobe PDF
10.06 MB Adobe PDF   Visualizza/Apri   Richiedi una copia
Pubblicazioni consigliate

Caricamento pubblicazioni consigliate

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/2434/881755
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus 0
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? ND
social impact