Objectives: To retrospectively investigate the impact of supervised daily nasal saline irrigations (NSI) with 0. 9% saline solution in children with a history of recurrent acute otitis media (RAOM). Methods: A retrospective pilot study was planned to evaluate the possible effect of supervised NSI in reducing the number of acute otitis media (AOM) episodes in otitis-prone children aged 1-5 years, compared to children not instructed to correct NSI performance. Results: Analysis was based on the data contained in 173 charts (57.3% males, mean age of 30.9 ± 7.3 months). 52.0% of children had not been instructed to perform NSI, while the remaining (48.0%) patients had received supervised NSI. At the 4-months follow-up visit a significant reduced number of AOM episodes (1.03 ± 0.14 vs. 2.08 ± 0.16; p < 0.001) as well as antibiotic treatments (1.48 ± 0.17 vs. 2.59 ± 0.18; p < 0.001) was documented in children receiving supervised NSI compared to those not instructed for NSI performance. Conclusions: These data suggest that NSI should be considered in the therapeutic management of children with RAOM, and should be routinely prescribed as a daily adjunctive treatment to reduce acute infectious exacerbations in otitis-prone patients. Accurate parents training is crucial in order to improve children compliance and treatment effectiveness.
Supervised nasal saline irrigations in otitis-prone children / S. Torretta, L. Pignataro, T. Ibba, F. Folino, M. Fattizzo, P. Marchisio. - In: FRONTIERS IN PEDIATRICS. - ISSN 2296-2360. - 7(2019 May), pp. 218.1-218.5.
|Titolo:||Supervised nasal saline irrigations in otitis-prone children|
TORRETTA, SARA SILVIA (Primo) (Corresponding)
MARCHISIO, PAOLA GIOVANNA (Ultimo)
|Parole Chiave:||Acute otitis media; Children; Nasal saline irrigations; Otitis-prone children; Otolaryngology|
|Settore Scientifico Disciplinare:||Settore MED/38 - Pediatria Generale e Specialistica|
Settore MED/31 - Otorinolaringoiatria
|Data di pubblicazione:||mag-2019|
|Digital Object Identifier (DOI):||http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fped.2019.00218|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||01 - Articolo su periodico|