Background: There is no unanimity in the literature regarding the value of transbronchial biopsies (TBBs) performed at a scheduled time after lung transplantation (surveillance TBBs [SBs]), compared to biopsies performed for suspected clinical acute rejection (clinically indicated TBBs [CIBs]). This study exposes an assessment of our experience over the last 4 years through a retrospective analysis of the data collected. Methods: In our center, SBs are performed at 3, 6, and 12 months after a transplant. Data from 110 patients who underwent a TBB were collected from January 2013 to November 2017. Clinical and functional data along with the histologic results and complications were collected. Results: Overall 251 procedures were performed: 223 for surveillance purposes and 28 for clinical indications. The SBs diagnostic rate was 84%. A grade 2 acute rejection (AR) was detected in 9 asymptomatic patients, all of whom were medically treated, with downgrading of AR documented in all cases. The rate of medical intervention in the SB group was 8%. The CIBs diagnostic rate was 96%. The rate of AR detected by CIBs was significantly higher than by SBs (36% versus 4%; P <.0001). Overall the major complication rate was 4%; no patients required transfusions and no mortality occurred in the patient cohort. Conclusions: The surveillance protocol did not eliminate the necessity of CIBs, but in 8% of patients early rejection was histologically assessed. The correlation between histologic and clinical data allows a more careful approach to transplanted patients.

Surveillance Transbronchial Biopsy Program to Evaluate Acute Rejection After Lung Transplantation : a Single Institution Experience / D. Tosi, R. Carrinola, L.C. Morlacchi, P. Tarsia, V. Rossetti, P. Mendogni, L. Rosso, I. Righi, F. Damarco, M. Nosotti. - In: TRANSPLANTATION PROCEEDINGS. - ISSN 0041-1345. - 51:1(2019 Feb), pp. 198-201. [10.1016/j.transproceed.2018.04.073]

Surveillance Transbronchial Biopsy Program to Evaluate Acute Rejection After Lung Transplantation : a Single Institution Experience

L. Rosso;M. Nosotti
2019-02

Abstract

Background: There is no unanimity in the literature regarding the value of transbronchial biopsies (TBBs) performed at a scheduled time after lung transplantation (surveillance TBBs [SBs]), compared to biopsies performed for suspected clinical acute rejection (clinically indicated TBBs [CIBs]). This study exposes an assessment of our experience over the last 4 years through a retrospective analysis of the data collected. Methods: In our center, SBs are performed at 3, 6, and 12 months after a transplant. Data from 110 patients who underwent a TBB were collected from January 2013 to November 2017. Clinical and functional data along with the histologic results and complications were collected. Results: Overall 251 procedures were performed: 223 for surveillance purposes and 28 for clinical indications. The SBs diagnostic rate was 84%. A grade 2 acute rejection (AR) was detected in 9 asymptomatic patients, all of whom were medically treated, with downgrading of AR documented in all cases. The rate of medical intervention in the SB group was 8%. The CIBs diagnostic rate was 96%. The rate of AR detected by CIBs was significantly higher than by SBs (36% versus 4%; P <.0001). Overall the major complication rate was 4%; no patients required transfusions and no mortality occurred in the patient cohort. Conclusions: The surveillance protocol did not eliminate the necessity of CIBs, but in 8% of patients early rejection was histologically assessed. The correlation between histologic and clinical data allows a more careful approach to transplanted patients.
Surgery; Transplantation
Settore MED/21 - Chirurgia Toracica
Article (author)
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
Transplant Proc (Surveillance Transbronchial Biopsy Program...).pdf

accesso riservato

Tipologia: Publisher's version/PDF
Dimensione 254.07 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
254.07 kB Adobe PDF   Visualizza/Apri   Richiedi una copia
Pubblicazioni consigliate

Caricamento pubblicazioni consigliate

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: http://hdl.handle.net/2434/624995
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 1
  • Scopus 2
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 2
social impact