Objective: To investigate sequential Doppler changes in donors and recipients before and 1 week after endoscopic laser for twin‐to‐twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS) and to examine factors that may be associated with such changes. Methods: In TTTS pregnancies undergoing laser treatment, we examined fetal Doppler changes before and 1 week postintervention. Intrauterine death rates and preoperative factors were analyzed in relation to Doppler changes. Results: Among 129 (85.4%) donors surviving at 1 week after laser, there was normalization of umbilical artery flow in 26 (72.2%) of 36 cases with preoperative abnormal Dopplers. In the remaining 10 (27.8%) fetuses, abnormal findings persisted. The rate of later intrauterine death was significantly higher in the latter group (6 of 10, 60.0%) compared with fetuses in which Doppler findings normalized (4 of 26, 15.4%; P < .05), with no difference in the rate of severe donor growth restriction between the 2 groups (80.0% vs 65.4%, respectively; P = .688). Conclusions: In about 70% of TTTS donors with preoperative abnormal umbilical artery Doppler, there was normalization 1 week after endoscopic laser. The incidence of fetal growth restriction was not significantly different in donors with persistence of Doppler abnormalities compared with those with normalized findings.

Fetal Doppler changes one week after endoscopic equatorial laser for twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome: a longitudinal study / N. Persico, F. D'Ambrosi, I. Fabietti, S. Boito, E. Aiello, A. Bulfoni, F. Ciralli, A. Kustermann, F. Mosca, L. Fedele. - In: PRENATAL DIAGNOSIS. - ISSN 0197-3851. - (2018). [Epub ahead of print] [10.1002/pd.5234]

Fetal Doppler changes one week after endoscopic equatorial laser for twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome: a longitudinal study

N. Persico
;
F. D'Ambrosi;I. Fabietti;F. Ciralli;F. Mosca;L. Fedele
2018

Abstract

Objective: To investigate sequential Doppler changes in donors and recipients before and 1 week after endoscopic laser for twin‐to‐twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS) and to examine factors that may be associated with such changes. Methods: In TTTS pregnancies undergoing laser treatment, we examined fetal Doppler changes before and 1 week postintervention. Intrauterine death rates and preoperative factors were analyzed in relation to Doppler changes. Results: Among 129 (85.4%) donors surviving at 1 week after laser, there was normalization of umbilical artery flow in 26 (72.2%) of 36 cases with preoperative abnormal Dopplers. In the remaining 10 (27.8%) fetuses, abnormal findings persisted. The rate of later intrauterine death was significantly higher in the latter group (6 of 10, 60.0%) compared with fetuses in which Doppler findings normalized (4 of 26, 15.4%; P < .05), with no difference in the rate of severe donor growth restriction between the 2 groups (80.0% vs 65.4%, respectively; P = .688). Conclusions: In about 70% of TTTS donors with preoperative abnormal umbilical artery Doppler, there was normalization 1 week after endoscopic laser. The incidence of fetal growth restriction was not significantly different in donors with persistence of Doppler abnormalities compared with those with normalized findings.
Settore MED/38 - Pediatria Generale e Specialistica
Settore MED/40 - Ginecologia e Ostetricia
13-feb-2018
Article (author)
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
Fetal Doppler changes one week after endoscopic equatorial laser for twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome.pdf

accesso aperto

Tipologia: Pre-print (manoscritto inviato all'editore)
Dimensione 305.15 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
305.15 kB Adobe PDF Visualizza/Apri
Persico_et_al-2018-Prenatal_Diagnosis.pdf

accesso riservato

Tipologia: Publisher's version/PDF
Dimensione 160.05 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
160.05 kB Adobe PDF   Visualizza/Apri   Richiedi una copia
Pubblicazioni consigliate

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/2434/548939
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 1
  • Scopus 1
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 0
social impact