The role of GBV-C/HGV in the aetiology of acute non A-E hepatitis and its impact on the course of acute hepatitis of defined aetiology were investigated by detecting viral RNA by RT-PCR and antibody to the E2 protein of GB virus C (anti-E2) by EIA. Ninety-eight patients with acute nonA-E hepatitis, 35 patients with acute hepatitis A, 63 with acute hepatitis B, 29 with acute hepatitis C and 270 controls were enrolled in this study. The prevalence of GBV-C/HGV RNA was similar among patients with acute nonA-E hepatitis (3.1%), with acute hepatitis A (2.9%), and controls (3.7%), but significantly higher (P < 0.05) among those with hepatitis B or C (19.0% and 48.3%, respectively). Similar figures were obtained considering the total rate of GBV-C/HGV exposure (viral RNA or anti-E2 positivity). The majority (24/30 or 80%) of GBV-C/HGV RNA positive patients reported a parenteral source of exposure whereas the remaining 20% denied having known risk factors. The liver function test values and the rate of chronic hepatitis B and C were similar in patients co-infected and in those not co-infected with GBV-C/HGV. This study excludes a significant role of GBV-C/HGV infection in the aetiology of acute nonA-E hepatitis in Italy. Concomitant GBV-C/HGV and HBV or HCV infection does not worsen the clinical course of illness among patients with acute hepatitis. Copyright 2000 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
|Titolo:||GB virus C/Hepatitis G virus in patients with acute nonA-E hepatitis and in patients with acute hepatitis of defined aetiology in Italy|
ROMANO', LUISA (Primo)
ZANETTI, ALESSANDRO REMO (Ultimo)
|Parole Chiave:||Acute hepatitis; GBV-C; NonA-E hepatitis|
|Settore Scientifico Disciplinare:||Settore MED/42 - Igiene Generale e Applicata|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2000|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||01 - Articolo su periodico|