The paper focuses on the no longer extant old Ethiopian church of Asmara (Eritrea), which went back to the late Aksumite times and was destroyed and completely rebuilt in 1920 and again in 1938 – when it was turned into today’s cathedral of Enda Maryam. A complete survey is provided of the old church’s physical remains, almost exclusively consisting in wooden capitals and carvings with animals (forming the nave frieze, traced here to the illustrations of the Physiologus), as well as of the relevant historical documents, including unpublished materials of the 1906 Deutsche Aksum-Expedition, in an attempt at reconstructing the earliest phases of the building and its subsequent fortunes throughout the centuries.
|Titolo:||Die alte Kirche in Asmara|
|Autori interni:||FIACCADORI, GIANFRANCO (Primo)|
|Settore Scientifico Disciplinare:||Settore L-ANT/08 - Archeologia Cristiana e Medievale|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2006|
|Tipologia:||Book Part (author)|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||03 - Contributo in volume|