The A-myb transcription factor shows a restricted tissue distribution and is cell cycle regulated. Furthermore its deregulation has profound effects on the growth and/or differentiation of the cells in which it is normally expressed. We have therefore characterized its promoter. A 12 kb genomic clone was isolated that comprises the first exon, part of the first intron as well as upstream regulatory sequences. Multiple transcription start sites have been identified which operate in both B lymphocytes and epithelial cells and the upsteam region was shown to have promoter, activity. The boundaries of the minimal promoter region (-183-14), of a positive upstream (-538-183) and a negative downstream regulatory region (NRE) (+83+374) have been defined. The NRE is promoter- and orientation-independent but position specific. The A-myb minimal promoter is GC-rich, does not contain any TATA box but has a functional CCAAT box. The CCAAT box and minimal promoter is highly conserved in the corresponding murine sequence. The CCAAT box efficiently binds the NF-Y complex and its mutation decreases basal promoter activity by 50%. Two Sp1 binding sites are present upstream from the CCAAT box which can bind Sp1 and contribute to A-myb promoter activity by 70 and 30%, respectively. The two Sp1 sites and CCAAT box together contribute to over 80% of A-myb basal promoter activity and are therefore the major regulatory elements. Finally, we show that the promoter is cell cycle regulated and that the SP1 and CCAAT elements are required for S phase induction.

Isolation and characterization of the human A-myb promoter : regulation by NF-Y and Sp1 / V. Facchinetti, R. Lopa, F. Spreafico, F. Bolognese, R. Mantovani, F. Tavner, R. Watson, M. Introna, J. Golay. - In: ONCOGENE. - ISSN 0950-9232. - 19:34(2000 Aug 10), pp. 3931-3940. [10.1038/sj.onc.1203730]

Isolation and characterization of the human A-myb promoter : regulation by NF-Y and Sp1

F. Bolognese;R. Mantovani;
2000-08-10

Abstract

The A-myb transcription factor shows a restricted tissue distribution and is cell cycle regulated. Furthermore its deregulation has profound effects on the growth and/or differentiation of the cells in which it is normally expressed. We have therefore characterized its promoter. A 12 kb genomic clone was isolated that comprises the first exon, part of the first intron as well as upstream regulatory sequences. Multiple transcription start sites have been identified which operate in both B lymphocytes and epithelial cells and the upsteam region was shown to have promoter, activity. The boundaries of the minimal promoter region (-183-14), of a positive upstream (-538-183) and a negative downstream regulatory region (NRE) (+83+374) have been defined. The NRE is promoter- and orientation-independent but position specific. The A-myb minimal promoter is GC-rich, does not contain any TATA box but has a functional CCAAT box. The CCAAT box and minimal promoter is highly conserved in the corresponding murine sequence. The CCAAT box efficiently binds the NF-Y complex and its mutation decreases basal promoter activity by 50%. Two Sp1 binding sites are present upstream from the CCAAT box which can bind Sp1 and contribute to A-myb promoter activity by 70 and 30%, respectively. The two Sp1 sites and CCAAT box together contribute to over 80% of A-myb basal promoter activity and are therefore the major regulatory elements. Finally, we show that the promoter is cell cycle regulated and that the SP1 and CCAAT elements are required for S phase induction.
Promoter Regions, Genetic ; Animals ; Base Sequence ; Binding Sites ; CCAAT-Enhancer-Binding Proteins ; Cell Cycle ; Cell Line ; DNA-Binding Proteins ; Gene Expression Regulation ; Humans ; Lymphocytes ; Mice ; Molecular Sequence Data ; Proto-Oncogene Proteins ; Proto-Oncogene Proteins c-myb ; Regulatory Sequences, Nucleic Acid ; Sequence Homology, Nucleic Acid ; Sp1 Transcription Factor ; Trans-Activators ; Transcription, Genetic
Settore BIO/18 - Genetica
Settore BIO/18 - Genetica
ONCOGENE
Article (author)
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
1203730a.pdf

non disponibili

Tipologia: Publisher's version/PDF
Dimensione 304.76 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
304.76 kB Adobe PDF   Visualizza/Apri   Richiedi una copia
Pubblicazioni consigliate

Caricamento pubblicazioni consigliate

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: http://hdl.handle.net/2434/238765
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 6
  • Scopus 12
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 12
social impact